There are many resources available about getting into shape. Here are our “Top Five Inspired Tips” to get back into shape as a teacher:
5. Breathe—Remember letting out a big, loud sigh after Mental Math exercises at the Inspired Teaching Institute? Try it in your own life and it can keep you moving to the next lap.
4. Dance—Why do kids feel so much more comfortable than we do with moving their bodies? Put on some music that makes you happy and excited and let loose!
3. Find a dependable route—Find a place where you feel comfortable planning for class. It might be in your classroom; or perhaps a quiet coffee shop. Turn off your cell phone and remember how it feels to have those magical teaching ideas take shape in your mind.
2. Connect with your “Jackie Joyner-Kersee”—Jackie Joyner-Kersee was one of the top female athletes and won many gold medals for track and field in the Olympic games of the 1990s. Imagine training for a marathon with her! Connecting to a teacher that you admire will inspire you and challenge you to reach your teaching goals. You might have met him at a workshop; maybe she’s an author that you like to read. Introduce or reintroduce yourself as a fan and as a teacher with a great deal to offer.
1. Stretch—Take a few minutes to stretch every inch of your body, from your eye brows down to your tiny toe. Then reach for the solid ground beneath your feet. Reach for the height of your dreams. You are ready for a great year!