What traits/skills do good teachers have that make them ideal change-makers?
- lead necessary discussions while making everyone feel included and invested
- able to tackle multiple jobs at once
- project management
- passion for serving communities
- asking useful questions
- survival skills
- assessing/observing potential within groups and individuals
- good listeners
- used to changing!
- not usually condescending
- thoughtfulnes/connection to the realities of young people's lives
- how all communities (teachers, faimilies, schools, admin., etc.) can work together
without finger-pointing BUT taking responsibility for each part of the equation.
- make education available for all, including parents (we have many low-literate and
- the paramount imporance of parents--who need training. Social service funding MUST
- elevating the role of the teacher through laws that recognize them as vital to the
success of our country
- the necessity to engage active educators in education reform
- transofrming public schools into center of community engagement institutions. Each
school should house human support services such as health, housing, parent
What are you an advocate for?
- making sure kids are treated fairly
- treating kids as all humans should be
- humor, thinking, and RECESS
- trade and technical schools, distance-learning for homebound students or students
who could do better in this kind of learning environment
- individuals with special needs
- equity in schools/educational opportunities
- lifelong education! accessible education for all ages
- creative thinking
- *highest* respect for children
Can schools change society? How?
- Yes, by offering young members of society opportunities to thrive, discover their
strengths, and grow.
- Yes, by educating parents.
- Yes! But schools must be 'hubs' for collaboration and service to community.
- Yes, by preparing young people to be the designers of a better future.
- Yes, by demonstrating how people connected to a school--i.e., students, parents,
educators, community members--can work together toward a single goal.